By Swami Harshananda
Digvijaya literally means ‘conquering in all directions’ and also means 'victory over many countries or kingdoms all around'.
Expeditions by ambitious kings for conquering other's territories or for collecting ransoms from them were called ‘digvijaya’.
Digvijaya As per Kauṭilya’s Arthaśāstra
- Dharmavijaya : The conqueror is satisfied if the defeated ruler agrees to be submissive
- Lobhavijaya : The conqueror is satisfied if he gets land and money
- Asuravijaya : The conqueror robs the defeated king of all his possessions
The dharmaśāstra works condemn the last one.
- Kauṭilya’s Arthaśāstra 12.1
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore